July 06, 2009

Getting revved up!

I had a craft event this past weekend and although I didn't do as well as I dreamed I would, I did OK. This is the third time I have set up at one of these events and I am learning more each time I go to one. I think the biggest thing I have learned is that I really need to focus on one particular thing and make it mine. Something that people will say "do you remember ........". I hope we get to see that again. My trouble is that I love to create. If I see something I really like, my mind immediately goes into hyper drive about how I can make that like this. I want to make everything. I need a signature item though. I can't make tote bags quickly enough to compete with the folks who order stuff wholesale and the bottom line is that people don't want to spend more money just because something is handmade and one of a kind. I guess lots of people don't have the extra. Anyway, it isn't worth my time to make a bag and charge the prices that people are selling Blue Sky Imports bags for. So, I need to focus on something unique. What do you think about tutus and hair clippies? Easy and people love them. My tutus are unique to this area. I haven't seen anyone else selling them. Of course, the market is narrowed by the "only for little girls" thing. I've thought about diapers but since I don't have a baby in diapers anymore, I just don't have the drive to complete a dozen a day. I have started making my girls pillow case dresses also. There were a couple other vendors with greater numbers of those than I could churn out in a lifetime even if my fabrics are better and more stylish. Hmmm, so tutus (and my knitting bag) are the way to go! .........

No comments:

Post a Comment